Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Day Simplified


Pastor Joseph taught a really profound and clear message on Sunday that still sits on my mind. It was about simplifying our lives... reducing all the odd and ends, the business, and priorities in your life down to the gold, the vitals.... down to the nice thick syrup of what's really important.

Yesterday, we simplified... and it was good. Usually we are with Kenneth's family at Christmas and it's busy and fun and a lot of hoopla and family stuff. It's wonderful. But this Christmas we couldn't do that and stayed home instead. Yesterday morning, after getting up... instead of crowding into the living room to open presents, or start to prepare a big breakfast for everyone, or turn on the TV to start watching parades, or jump on people until every one is awake... we both sat down and spent some time with God. Honestly, I can't remember that last time I put God first on Christmas. I usually read my Bible sometime in the afternoon on that day. We usually have a birthday cake for Jesus. But yesterday was different. We spent the morning with Him. Then in the afternoon we hopped into my jeep and drove down to the park. It was about 78 degrees and just beautiful. The fog was rolling in and it was overcast. The breeze was blowing and it rained softly the whole time we were there. I sat on a blanket under a tree with Bentley while I watched Kenneth playing himself in basketball. We had the whole park to ourselves.

It was a very different Christmas day than we are used to, but it was wonderful. I pray that all of you have had a chance--or will soon--to sit with Him and simplify.

6 comments:

Joseph said...

Hope,
How beautiful is that! I am encouraged that the message had a deep impact on you. Trust me when I say it has had the same impact on me as I look to simplify my life.

Hope Clark said...

Joseph,
I'm still thinking about it. It is such a perfect preparation for the fast our team is about to do. Sometimes it's hard for me to say no to something for the sake of saying no. But for the sake of simplifying seems to click with me. How do we ever really know what's important until we stop and figure it out?

cheryl said...

told ya so.

The Willcox Family said...

I hope you guys had a very Merry Christmas and that you are going to have a Happy New Year!!!
This next year is going to be filled with so many amazing moments and memories! I am praying for you Hope at the end of your pregnancy....just a little while longer to go :)

Hope Clark said...

Yes Cheryl. You did. ;)
And thanks Kat!!

Hope Clark said...

Yes Cheryl. You did. ;)
And thanks Kat!!