Tuesday, May 13, 2008

II Chronicles 14

(I just thought I'd share with you part of my personal devotions over the next few days. I'm reading in Chronicles.)

580,000 foot soldiers in Judah. All valiant warriors. They use shields, bows, and spears. But let's face it, there hasn't been a war in 10 years. Maybe a few have developed pot bellies.

Against 1 million Ethiopians and 300 chariots. Chariots. That means horsepower. That doesn't sound promising.

Asa, King of Judah, pulls everybody into battle formation. And right there, in front of his enemies, he prays.

"Then Asa called to the Lord his God, and said, 'Lord, there is no one besides Thee to help in the battle between the powerful and those who have no strength; so help us, O Lord our God, for we trust in Thee, and in Thy name have come against this multitude. O Lord, Thou art our God; let not man prevail against Thee.'" ~vs. 11

No one besides God to help? King Asa has allies. He has money. He has places he could have turned to for help. But he acknowledged that God was the only true source of help.

How often do I seek out my allies before I trust God with the issue?
How often do I look for a way out instead of looking to His strength as a way through?

--Lord...
Teach me to pursue You first in the battle. May I run to You first. You are the source of all help. You are the strength needed. May I seek You and trust You on and off the battlefield.

2 comments:

Thea said...

Thanks for sharing - going "through" can seem daunting at times but giong through things with someone always makes you closer...I guess that's an up side huh? Great devo.

Hope Clark said...

Definately an upside! :) It's still scary at times, but He never said it wouldn't be scary.