Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Overflow: Sanford

The Well had our Summer outreach this past Saturday. It was Overflow: Sanford. There was entertainment, a DJ, a bouncy house, a dunk tank, food, groceries, clothing, vision screening, prayer, health care information, employment information, scholarship opportunities to pay bills, and more. It was all free. We wanted to bless the people of Sanford with an overflow of God's love. And He provided such wonderful resources!

I don't know how many people were there, but I do know that whoever was there, was blessed. Some of the ones I spoke to... a grandmother with 9 family members in her house. She was just diagnosed with cancer. A single mother with 4 children who lost her car and phone, and was about to lose the lights in her apartment. A couple with two small children who had no groceries... until Saturday. I saw many smiles that day. I also particularly remember a grandmother I spoke to who had two young girls with her. She was rail thin and dressed in tight clothing. She whispered "thank you" to me but never changed the hurt, degraded, down-cast and broken look on her face. She never raised her eyes to meet mine. I suspect I know the occupation she has resigned herself to in order to obtain money and food. My heart goes out to them and I pray that God will continue to work in their lives.

6 comments:

Joseph said...

Hope, I'd say that's a perfect summary of the weekend and its incredible success. I'm so proud of our team for being an extension of Jesus' arms to reach out and hold people who were hurting, hungry and in need.

Hope Clark said...

Joseph,
Isn't is a blessing to be the hands that God uses to help others??

Stacey said...

Isn't it a blessing when God allows us to be an instructment of His Love to others. :o)

Stacey said...

Isn't it a blessing when God allows us to be an instructment of His Love to others. :o)

Anonymous said...

Please be careful. It seems that while doing the work of Christ we can also judge by "suspecting that we know" what occupation someone has or hasn't resigned themselves to based on their clothes and the amount of eye contact made.

What relevance does that assumption have in what was done in the outreach anyway?

Hope Clark said...

Stacey,
It certainly is!

Anonymous,
Thank you for your comment. Please understand my heart...I mean no arrogance in assumption. I simply had a sense of deep hurt when I saw her, and my heart broke for her. I was so happy to be a little blessing to someone whom I sensed really needed it.