Monday, July 21, 2008

Worship Lessons

I learned a great lesson this weekend.

According to a request by Pastor Joseph, I planned for our team to learn and play "Love Song" by Jason Morant this past Sunday. There's another version by Lamont Hiebert and Abby Merkel that I also listened to.

Great song. Both recordings use about three guitars. Jason's sounds especially like guitar folk/rock... very ambient with lots of electric guitar.

One problem. We don't have any guitars. We're a keyboard led team--and while I can play a mean D chord on an acoustic, that's about it for my "giter" skills.

So, I got frustrated. How are we supposed to pull this off? He knows we don't have a guitar player. It won't sound anything like that. After a day or so, the Holy Spirit boxed my ears and pulled me down off of God's throne of judgement where I'd been sitting. Just try it.

So we did. I changed the key, reformatted it a bit, and did not make sure that everyone on the team heard the original, like I usually do. And we WORSHIPPED to it. The song came out great, but better than that... people worshipped God.

We took another step forward yesterday as a team. And I know a big part of it was me, learning an important lesson. I realized that I should never limit myself or my team, and the possibilities of the Holy Spirit working through us to accomplish His good purpose. It's really not about my/our ability or inability... it's about Him... by Him... through Him... for Him.

2 comments:

Joey said...

Yep! It was, in the words of my daughter, AAWWEESSSOMMME!!!

Hope Clark said...

LOL, that rocks! :)