Monday, August 18, 2008

Ruined

It's always interesting coming home from a mission trip. Guatemala was my fifth trip, but each one has left me feeling the same way. It's like putting on a new pair of glasses... you see everything differently.

We've been back over a week now. Now, normal life is setting back in. The regular schedule of work, home life, church, sleep goes in its normal rotation and Guatemala seems like a dream that happened and disappeared in the mist.

But the lessons remain in my mind. The faces remain in my heart. The stories remain in my memory. Though my surroundings have not changed, I have changed. And I feel a little bit like I don't quite fit... I don't quite belong like I did before.

I suppose that's what they mean when they say mission trips ruin you. They forever change you, stretch you, and deepen you... to the point that you don't quite fit back in the hole you came from. You are no longer content with the level of grace, faith, generosity, or compassion that you had before. You must have more... you must do more.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

You are part guatemalan now my friend..you see that had been my prayer...jejejeje

melissa said...

oh, how i resonate with your well articulated heart! :)