Thursday, October 23, 2008

Worship Like You Were Dying


It's been a tough summer for our church.

Attendance is often low in churches during the summer months. We're a young church plant on top of that. And with the economy the way it is, finances are very tight for everyone. It has again raised questions in my mind about whether we will make it. I'd be foolish to say I never question how we will survive--even though I believe 110% in this vision and church.

Situations like this sometimes drain leadership of hope. It sometimes weans off creativity and drys out vibrancy. But it's often the birthplace of innovation and determination. It's in between a rock and a hard place that you find out what you can use for a drill.

I asked my worship team a question last Sunday that struck home with them all. "What if this was our last Sunday to lead worship for this church? What would you do differently?"

That's a question I've been pondering for a the last few weeks and it's taken me to a different place in my worship leading. It's stripped me of some of my preconceived notions of appropriateness. It's caused me to leave no reserve. I'm not talking about going crazy on the keys. I'm talking about heart, passion, zeal... and how that translates into your worship. I know we can be technically skillfull, AND be spiritually raw. It's just a matter of learning how to translate it.

Pastor Joseph has been incredible in this season. I think his vibrancy and zeal has actually increased--and he's transferred that to his leadership team. Our worship continues to grow in a time when you would think it would stagnate. We continue to get full of more life, more depth, more joy, and more strength. As I prepare for worship this Sunday, I'm asking myself that question again... and I'm begining to get really excited.

7 comments:

liturgy said...

I appreciate your focus on worship
There is a badge to encourage the importance of worship that you might like to place on your site:
http://www.liturgy.co.nz/resources/worshipbadge.html
Let us also pray for each other and this online mission and ministry.

Joey said...

This great Hope. It really changed how I look at worship! Thank you!

Hope Clark said...

Thank you Liturgy, I appreaciate your comment! Worship is very important at our church, which is something I'm very grateful for. I agree with you... we were created to worship HIM!

Also, thanks Joey... it's really changed the way I look at it too. :)

liturgy said...

I guess, Hope, your comments could be translated not just into the way we worship - but the way we live!

I hope you've popped in to my worship and spirituality site "Liturgy" www.liturgy.co.nz
Let me know if you place a link so I acknowledge that and link back.
Also I told you about the badge that many are using.

Blessings

Bosco

Hope Clark said...

Liturgy,
You are so right! I have visited your site and appreciate the value of worship you are encouraging every denomination to embrace. Our church is a non-denominational church with a very contemporary service, but we often incorporate tradition elements also. I love learning about the history that our worship has gone through over the ages and the countless ways that we can honor our Lord. May your efforts to glorify HIM be blessed!

liturgy said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Hope.
You are quite right
some of the most forward-thinking,
"emergent" churches
are the very ones that are exploring the ancient treasures of our worship
and seeing that they wonderfully can be used in our contemporary context.
I appreciate what you offer also.

Blessings

Bosco
www.liturgy.co.nz

Hope Clark said...

Thanks Liturgy! Blessings to you!