Friday, March 13, 2009

Finished The Shack!

I recently finished The Shack.

With so much discussion over this book and it's theological foundation and out-of-the box description of God, I just thought I would post some of my thoughts. Since I can't have coffee with all of you, consider this our "convo over coffee". :)

I loved it. I know it's theologically unorthodox, but that's part of what I loved.

I know some may say that it strips the holiness from God, it removes the awesomeness of Him that requires a response from us of holy fear. Some may say that it reduced the magnificence of the Trilogy to a kind of weird, inappropriate next-door-neighbor threesome. Some may say that God is in fact sovereign, so He did in fact cause Missy's abduction, even though the book denies that. Some may even say that having a female character representing God is inappropriate. (I couldn't care less what people may have to say about the race of the characters.)

But, to me, that was so refreshing. I think that part of the reason that people are sick and tired of Christianity and churches is because the only concept they have grasped of God is that He has a list of rules to follow, and those who follow them are good, and those who don't are bad. They don't grasp how wide His love is, how deep His affections are for us, and how all-encompassing His forgiveness is. Yes, there are consequences to our actions, but there is also love, forgiveness, restoration, and renewal. Those who haven't pushed deeply enough to see God for Who He is, just gets a two dimensional picture of a large, un-relational, task master. I think that this book is a good eye-opener for all of those who have never seen God for Who He truly is... an incredible, love-saturated, sovereign, relational God Who will go to great lengths to restore us to the wholeness that He intended.
.
Any thoughts?

4 comments:

GinSpaghetti said...

I also loved it. It's out-of-the-box thinking is just what I needed to re-energize and get back into my faith. I've decided not to read the follow up books on this one though because I really liked what I took away. It was a great book!

Stacey said...

Hope,

I think that you put it perfectly! :o)

Hope R. Clark said...

Gina,
I didn't know there were follow up books... Hmm, I don't know if I would want to read them either--I loved the first so much!

Stacey,
Thanks... that's certainly the biggest thing I took got out of it. :)

Joseph said...

Hope, this is one of the better reviews of the book that I've read. I concur completely. :)