Monday, May 4, 2009

My To Don't List

At the beginning of the year, I wrote my top five goals for 2009. I put them on a little 3x5 card and posted it on the wall next to my desk. I see the card every day.

Only one item on the list was a task to be finished at some point during the year--which I have just completed. The other four are on-going desires I have.

No. 4 is "Stress less and rest in God more."

I've been doing better at this--tho, I wouldn't say much better. The most disconcerting thing happened when I began applying this step. I realized that for me to stress less and rest more requires that less actually gets "done."

I thought that staying within those parameters meant that I could continue my work load, home load, personal load, etc... and just refresh my emotions and renew my perspective about them by leaving the outcome of them in God's hands.

But what really happened was that I realized I was just "doing" too much. So in order for me to stress less and rest more... I have to actually do less. What amazes me are all the things that end up on my to do list that God never put there. Somehow, I require a lot more of myself than anyone else requires of me.

I'm still accomplishment oriented, but I'm starting to learn to leave things "undone."

3 comments:

adamandarissa said...

Thank God we don't have to do all the things we think we need to do.

Hope R. Clark said...

LOL...yes, thank God! :)

Carrie Tedder said...

Hey Hope. I'm writing on your blog just in case the email this isn't working.
I haven’t gotten your Ereciept yet for the airline ticket? Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t missing in cyber space.
You will also need to rent a car for the time you are here. Go ahead and book and pay for the car, then send me the Ereciept. I’ll have Sue send you a check for both.
Can’t wait to see you…just with is was all three of you!
Love
Carrie