Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Petitions

I'm working this morning, but my mind is ten different places.

I've been reading about the "elections" in Iran (or, should I say racketeering). I've been watching the news about the metro crash in DC. I'm constantly thinking about the underground churches in China, the people of the trash cities in India and Mexico, the atrocious child sex brothels in Thailand & Cambodia, and the starvation and tribal wars in Africa.

And I'm thinking about my daughter who has runny nose and my dog who has an ear infection. And the two children we sponsor through Compassion Intl. who are striving just to stay in school.

The chasm between all those areas and lives is made narrower by my knowledge that God sees and knows all. And He cares for both small and great. In my concern for Iran, I won't forget my daughters runny nose. But I also won't ignore the child who is repeatedly raped in Bangkok. Amazingly, they are all within my power to help. I can pray.

My prayers for them all are powerful, and my prayers are heard. And just because it's happening doesn't mean God has lost His concern for them. Some days I feel overwhelmed with what's going on in the world and the little significance I hold compared with it. Until I remember that He is the only refuge, His love never ends, and He is listening.

3 comments:

Thea said...

Great reminder Hope. I know the feeling and have often found my thoughts spanning similar reaches. It's so important to not allow the lie that "the problems are too big and I can't do enough to make a difference" to creep in.

Blessings said...

Interesting Very Intersting.

Hope R. Clark said...

Thanks Thea.
So true... we can all feel so helpless sometimes. The power of prayer is often underestimated.

Blessings,
Thanks so much for stopping by and joining in the conversation. :)