Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Florida Christmas Season

Right now it's a week and a half before Christmas, and I'm wearing flip flops.

Winter is so different in Florida. I still can't get used to it. It never feels like Winter and only sometimes feels like Fall. I got to wear my boots and jacket the other day when the evening temp dipped down into the low 60's. By the next day, it was 78. Today it was 82.

People put lights on palm trees here. Instead of chasing snowflakes, Bentley runs around the lawn with his mouth open trying to snatch bugs out of the air. Instead of scraping snow off the driveway, we're sweeping off sidewalk chalk and grass clippings. Neighbors are putting up blowup snowmen on their lawns because they'll never be able to make a real one. We still use our AC during the day.

Despite our desire for a white Christmas, I think a Florida Christmas may actually more closely resemble the weather around Christ's birth. There were no sparkling lights except the stars. Instead of snow there was powder fine sand, instead of boots there were sandals, and coarse linen took the place of fuzzy blankets. The weather was warm enough to sleep outside with the sheep, but cool enough to make you grateful for a stable. I guess, when it's all said and done, it's really not about the snow or the weather or the lights or the food or the gifts or the festivities. It's about Someone's birth and the begining of a life that would change the world forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was checking up on Pastor Thompson, an old acquintance of mine, who I admire very much, when I stumbled on your blog. Going through the leading worship section, I have found it so inspiring, so down to earth, so honest, and so real. I have posted a few responses to some of your earlier blogs, and have downloaded the entire stream to my computer to read again later! We had white Xmas here in NH with the temperature hovering between 10 and 30 degrees, that we sometimes wish we could trade this for your weather in Florida. I am surprised the Well has stopped sunday services. Oh Mine. As someone engaged in church planting, I feel a little sad about that, but I am happy that you all felt that you were working according to God's will. Feel free to respond whenever Moriah and Selah (and Ken) give you the space to do so. You have a lovely family. Do you have any of your songs or worship footages online? Best wishes to you and your family in the New Year. Steve.

(By the way, I am not anonymous, but have no google account or ID yet!)

Hope R. Clark said...

Wow, Steve... thanks so much for your thoughts. I'll go back and look for your comments. May your winter be filled with more sunny days in NH! God bless you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Quelle phrase... super, l'idГ©e excellente precosse