Friday, January 15, 2010

Talking About Haiti

I'm sorry. But before you say anything else, let me make a few suggestions.

Please don't tell me you don't want to know what's going on in Haiti and you'd rather live in a bubble because the devastation is too depressing for you. (I'm sorry... !? People are dying by the thousands, but you want to live in a bubble with your latte and talk about shopping? I'm practically stuttering I'm so shocked.)

Please don't tell me you can't do anything to help. Prayer changes things. Pray for those who are able to physically do something. Pray for physical needs, emotional needs, and spiritual needs. Then, forgo the latte and give the money.

Please don't talk to me about the witchcraft and idol worshipping that was going on in Haiti. I'm fully aware of it. And I'm praying for God's endless love and light to shine on Haiti and its precious people.

Please don't let your suspicion that God allowed this disaster cause you to sit by shaking your head with "pity" while you watch people slowly die. God is watching your response to this.

Please don't criticize the methods or time frame with which it takes organizations to get relief into Haiti. They are making a monumental effort to help. (And ten minutes ago you were telling me you wanted to live in a bubble and were too broke to help.)

Please love. Love the Haitians. Be a good Samaritan, not a critical Pharisee.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Hope...we finally got a new computer so I am not able to catch up some of the blogs I have been following. This is a great post. I want so badly to just bring those kids home and give them a home. Do you think they would ALL fit in the condo Jonathan and I am renting. Praying for the Haitians.

Hope R. Clark said...

Stacey, I'm am right there with you! May God heal and restore.