Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Character Improvement

You may not have realized it, but my attitude has stunk lately.

I seem to spend much of my time irritated that I'm not traveling the world on a mission trip or touring my latest worship album. Instead I complain about the menial tasks of motherhood and I whine about not being able to "do" more.

ENOUGH! I've decided to change my attitude. God takes us on journeys through seasons to spend time with us, to mature us, and to prepare us for future things. Part of that preparation is always character improvement. Well, my character has been a bit lacking recently. I suddenly realized this past weekend (while reading a passage in a leadership book about the time that Paul had to wait before his ministry became impacting and the frustration that he must have felt) that part of the reason that God has me where He has me right now is to learn how to take Him and His joy with me through my circumstances... how to take joy in the seemingly insignificant... how to be grateful in the midst of trying situations... how to live in rapture of the moment, rather than impatient for the future I desire... how to actually praise God no matter what. (Gee. Imagine that.)

"One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to meditate in His temple." -Psalm 27:4 (NAS)

So, while I may still have frustrating days, I am determined to rest in Him and His timing. I am determined to embrace the truth that "this" is not all there will be, but while I'm here in the now, I should embrace it for all it's beautiful, messy, precious worth.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Good word...a good reminder for us all. The reality of it is, whether you are a stay at home mom or work the same job everyday, we all need to remember what you just said.