Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Will Never Get This Day Back

Okay, here's where the frustration lies.

IMPORTANT ITEM:
There are things that I want to do each day that have long lasting consequences. These are things that are a part of my calling, my passions, or something that requires consistancy over time in order to get where I want to be. They are important to me. Like... exercising to lose weight, practicing piano and guitar, learning new songs, spending uninterrupted time with God, writing music, reading, etc.

URGENT ITEMS:
Then there are all the things that I need to do each day because they have immediate consequences. Like... doing the laundry, washing dishes, cleaning the house, making meals, taking care of the girls, caring for the dog, preparing worship for the weekend, etc.

NEITHER IMPORTANT OR URGENT:
Then there are the things that I enjoy doing that may or may not have any lasting importance. Like... checking email, blogging, catching up on Facebook, updating photos online, working on scrapbooks, catching up on whatever my favorite show of the moment is, etc.

My frustration lies in the fact that I spend most of my days jumping from one urgent item to the next. I can generally squeeze in an unimportant item here and there, but rarely have the time or freedom to devote to an important item.

That leaves me feeling like I'm spinning my wheels and getting nowhere.

Sure, I can look back and say, "Wow... I sure did a great job folding laundry in 2010." But I'm pretty sure that won't make me feel much better.


P.S. Yes, yes... I know. "You've spent time loving your children and that's all that really matters." Okay. Point taken.

3 comments:

Arissa said...

I feel the exact same way!! It's a stay at home mom thing. We must remember it's a short season. Soon our children will be able to dress and cook for themselves. When that time comes we teach them how to do their own laundry!

Hope R. Clark said...

Yes!!! Oh what a day that will be. :)

Stacey said...

Yup...it is called choirs...it is a glorious thing. :o)