Friday, August 13, 2010

As Long As It Is Still Called Today

The other morning I was reading the Bible to the girls (Selah 2.5 years and Moriah 10 months), as I try to do most days. Usually it turns into me just reading aloud to myself as they talk to each other and play on the floor. Either way... it's all good to me.

I had just started Hebrews and so was reading Hebrews chapter 3 to them. The first part was about Jesus being found more worthy than Moses. The second part was a warning against unbelief. It quoted another passage from somewhere else in the Bible as it began saying, "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert, where your fathers tested and tried Me...." Then farther down the passage, it said, "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Then, a bit father along it said again, "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."

So, that got me thinking. Obviously, there's something to this whole "today" thing. And there's something to this hardening to unbelief thing. I must think more about that. And so my day continued.

Later on that morning, Selah brought me my Bible again and said that she wanted to read some more. I thought she meant that she wanted to look at the maps in the back, but instead, she plopped it open, flipped a few pages and put her finger down. Then she said, "Here Mommy. I want to read here." I looked and saw a verse in Psalm 95, so I started reading at the beginning of the chapter. It began with a call to worship the Creator and to kneel before Him. Then it said, "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, etc...."

What?! You have got to be kidding me... Selah just picked out the very book and chapter that Hebrews 3 had quoted regarding unbelief! Ok. So now, He has my attention. I reread both chapters and prayed for a bit.

"Today" and "unbelief" are key ideas. "Today" is used three times in Hebrews 3. There's a feeling of now, here, today, day after day, any day... an expectancy that any day--even today--you could hear from God, so be ready to listen.

Also, "unbelief". It's mentioned twice in Hebrews 3. It's the reason God did not let that whole generation of Israelites enter into His rest (the promised land). Unbelief is the result of the hardening.

So that left me with the sense that it's important for me to listen for Him today (each day), encourage others to do the same today (each day), and believe when I hear. Listen with an expectancy to believe. It sounds easy, but it may not be when you are faced with it. However, it's critical, it's important, and it has long lasting consequences.

It may sound like a given (you know, doesn't everyone listen for God?). But, God saw fit to put it in that chapter three times so that we wouldn't forget. So I'm going to be sure I do that today (and tomorrow, and the next day). Hope you have a beautiful day filled with expectancy, too!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Hope...what a great reminder!! I love when God uses kids to highlight a point. :o)

Hope R. Clark said...

Seriously, isn't that the best!? I know...so humbling. :)