Tuesday, December 7, 2010


Selah will be three in a couple of months. Yet, her comprehension and emotional development surprises me sometimes.

Selah: "Are you ironing Papa's clothes, Mommy?"

Me: "Yes, Baby."

Selah: "You haf to iron them because Papa needs dem to go to work."

Me: "That's right. We want him to dress appropriately for his work."

Selah: "Yeah." Thinks for a minute. "When I get bigger, I will iron Papa's shirts for him. Den he will be proud of me."

Oh dear. She's not even three yet! Does she think he's not proud of her? Does she need more attention from him? Mental note... ask Kenneth to spend some one-on-one time with her tonight. Have I given her the impression that she must perform to receive approval? I've struggled with that my whole life... have I transferred that to her?

Me: "Selah, Papa is already so proud of you because he loves you. That will not change. But doing things for others is very kind and loving."

Selah: "Yeah." She nods her head, as if processing. Then goes off to play.

Lord, give me wisdom. May I teach them well. And may You repair any mistakes!


No comments: