Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Latte With A Teaspoon Of Trust

I'm currently sitting down in our office, sipping my hot instant vanilla caramel latte, and hiding in my hoodie. It's still a little cold here, though some might say that 60 degrees has nothing to do with cold. Yet, despite hugging my latte and pulling my hood over my head, I'm wearing flip flops. Hmmm... perhaps I've become a Floridian after all.

I've had a frustrating morning. Nothing big... just toddlers being toddlers, and nearly three-year-olds being nearly three-year-olds. Despite the fact that I KNOW they are children, I'm still shocked and somewhat annoyed that I say the same things dozens and DOZENS of times and they still look at me like I'm speaking Mandarin. My mother's words echo in my mind... "I feel like a broken record!" Hmmm... could it be possible that I was that three-year-old once? God, give me grace....

I began reading and found some words that strengthened my heart.

"...Put your trust in the Lord your God, and you will be established." - II Chron. 20:20

"Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and trust in the Lord." - Psalm 4:5

"Trust in the Lord forever, for in God the Lord, we have an everlasting rock." - Isaiah 26:4

Perhaps you can see my theme for the day... trust. When I get frustrated, my first prayer is usually for more patience. But I think I'm finding that what I'm really lacking is trust. I don't just need to be patient with how the day goes, I need to trust that whatever happens today, whatever gets accomplished or doesn't, whatever gets broken or spilled or messed up, that my God is taking care of it all...that He is constant...and His plans for me and my family extend far beyond the drama of this morning or this day.

When I trust Him more completely, I am free to be patient... I take more time, and I'm slow to be upset. When I trust Him, I'm a better mother. *sigh... sip latte*

2 comments:

Arissa said...

Thanks Hope I needed to hear that today!

Hope R. Clark said...

I'm so glad it spoke to you, Arissa. :) Just remember to breathe... :)