Monday, May 16, 2011

My nineteen month old, Moriah, loves shoes.

She has always loved shoes since she realized that she had feet. Shoes are the first thing she will ask to put on in the morning and the last thing she wants to take off. Since she was old enough to express a preference, she has always had a preference about which shoes to wear, and she will loudly complain if you don't put on her feet the shoes that she wanted. If, for some reason, you didn't put shoes on her feet that morning... then she will go steal yours. She has yet to master my heels, but is actively working on it. If she falls out of my heels, which she does often at this point, she will yell at the shoe and then try again.


There's no denying it... Moriah likes shoes.

Which is why I am amazed and humbled by the ways that God adores us.

I know He loves us because His Word says so. I know He loves us because He has changed our lives for the better. I know He loves us because, despite the fact that my husband has been out of work for over four months, we have more food in our pantry than we have had in years. I know He loves us because He answers our prayers. I know He loves us for a multitude of reasons.

But I know He wholeheartedly adores us when He lavishes things on us that are unasked for, unexpected, and not necessary...but that we personally want or enjoy.

Two days ago my neighbor, who was sorting through her daughter's old clothes, gave us a bag of about a dozen pairs of shoes... all Moriah's size. Moriah's shoe wardrobe tripled that day. God just gave her a gift that she didn't need, but one that she was practically giddy about.

And the amazing thing is...she's too young to know Whom it's from or to say thank you. God just did it because He adores her.

No comments: