Friday, June 29, 2012

Wasteful Spending



No, I will not be watching "Magic Mike" or reading "50 Shades of Grey" with my girlfriends. But not because some consider it to be unGodly.

I won't spend my (valuable) time absorbing those images and ideas because I'm actually intentionally going somewhere with my husband... I'm building something with him.

I understand how undermining and eroding sexual images can be to the intimacy in a marriage. Those images and ideas stick for years and become something that you have to wrestle through in your daily life. Why would I intentionally allow something into my life that damages what I'm trying to do? And I'd actually have to spend $10 to do it!? Ha! No, I'm not interested in self-destruction.

I AM interested in building a strong, powerful, intimate relationship with my best friend... a relationship that provides a secure foundation for our children, and a relationship that pursues and accomplishes the fantastic purposes that God has orchestrated for us.

Nope, not interested in wasting my time or my resources when there's so many more truly incredible things to do. I understand that the NBA championship was a huge win for LeBron, Dwyane and the Heat team... but popping a $75,000 bottle of champagne to celebrate, when there is so much hunger, thirst, and need in our world is just obscene.

Wake up, people! Our lives, resources, and time are not to be wasted on self-destructive, wasteful things. We each have a deep and thrilling purpose to pursue and accomplish...that, if we all begin to pursue, will change the face of this earth. So, let's stop all the foolishness and get to work.

P.S. To those who are flirting with the idea of reading the book or watching the movie because you're curious or because other you know are doing so... (I'm betting that spending $75,000 on some bubbly doesn't have quite the same lure for you)... my question for you is, Where are you going in your life? ...What are you trying to accomplish? If doing those things mentioned above hinders you at all, then why are you wasting your time considering them??


1 comment:

Tara said...

I agree! Glad to know there are other women out there that believe this too!